DOJ Says Its Authority to Dismiss Qui Tam Suits Is Expansive Notwithstanding Circuit Split

In its May 4, 2020 Opposition to the Petition for Writ of Certiorari in United States ex rel. Schneider v. JPMorgan Chase NA, the Department of Justice (“DOJ”) advocated a reading of the FCA that preserves the Executive Branch’s unfettered discretion to dismiss a qui tam, absent “extraordinary circumstances.”  DOJ’s power to dismiss derives from FCA Section 3730(c)(2)(A), which provides that the Government “may dismiss” a relator’s action if the relator “has been notified by the Government of the filing of the motion and the court has provided the person with an opportunity for a hearing on the motion.”  Since the revealing of the Granston Memo, which we have addressed here and here, DOJ has more frequently sought to use this statutory power.  In hopes of doing so in an unrestricted manner, DOJ presented the Supreme Court with the following question in its Opposition: “Whether the United States’ decision to dismiss a relator’s FCA claim under Section 3730(c)(2) is subject to judicial review where the relator does not allege that the government’s dismissal decision was a fraud on the court.”

In March 2012, the United States, forty-nine states, and the District of Columbia filed a complaint that alleged misconduct in home mortgage practices by several mortgage servicers.  The district court entered a consent judgment after the parties settled.  The settlement agreement obliged the servicers to comply with certain “business-practice requirements.”  Further, the consent judgment mandated penalties where monitoring the servicers revealed noncompliance with the settlement agreement.  To avoid paying these penalties, the relator in Schneider alleged, the defendant had falsely claimed compliance with the settlement agreement.  The district court granted the defendant’s motion to dismiss the relator’s claims; the Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia affirmed; and on remand, the DOJ moved to dismiss.  In the motion to dismiss, DOJ argued that the relator’s claims lacked “substantial merit,” and that “litigation of them would require further unnecessary expenditures of scarce Government resources.”  Finding that the Government had an unfettered right to dismiss, the district court granted DOJ’s motion.  The Court of Appeals affirmed, and the relator petitioned for certiorari to the Supreme Court.

Urging the Court to deny the writ, the DOJ emphasized that all FCA cases are “brought in the name of the United States, and the Act does not limit the government’s traditional prerogative to decline to prosecute or pursue a claim alleging legal wrongs done to the government itself.”  The DOJ acknowledged that the Ninth and Tenth Circuits have instructed district courts to conduct a review before granting a Government motion to dismiss, but asserted that “slight differences between the standards applied by the various courts of appeals should very rarely if ever be outcome-determinative.”  As such, DOJ argued, the circuit split on the issue did not warrant Supreme Court review, contrary to Relator’s contention.

DOJ argued, in addition, that the statutory text of the FCA supports an extremely deferential standard.  Congress specified, after all, that it is “the Government”—meaning the Executive Branch, not the Judicial— that may dismiss, which suggests an absence of judicial constraint.  The defendant’s Petition countered by noting that the text mandates a hearing before dismissal, but DOJ’s Opposition responded that neither notice of nor a hearing on the Government’s dismissal “impose[s] any substantive limitations on the government’s dismissal authority.”

A copy of the DOJ’s Opposition can be found here.

28 replies
  1. หีไทย
    หีไทย says:

It is thе best time to makе some plans for the future and it’s time to
    be happy. I have read tһis post and if I could I wish to sսggest you few interesting things or
    advice. Perhaps yоu could write next articles referring to tһis article.

I want to read even more things about it!

2. หี
    หี says:

I thіnk that what you published was actually very reasonable.
    Hοwever, what about this? supposе you were to create a ɑwesome headline?

I mean, I don’t wish to tell yoս how to run your blog, however ᴡhat
    if you added something that makes people want more?
    I mean DOJ Saуs Itѕ Authority to Ꭰismiss Qui Tam Suits Is Expansive Notwithѕtanding Circuit Split
    – Ϝalse Claims Act Blog is kinda vanilla. You
    coulⅾ ⅼooк at Yahoo’s front page and watch how they crеate article headlіnes to grab viewers to click.
    You might try adding a video or a related pictᥙre or two to grab people excited about everything’ve written. In my opinion, it would maкe your posts a little livelier.

3. คลิปโป้
    คลิปโป้ says:

Yⲟu actually makе it seem so easy ѡith your presentation but I
    find this matter to be actually something that I tһink I ԝould
    never undeгstand. It sеems too complex and very broad for
    me. I аm looking forward for your next post, I will tгy to
    get the hang оf it!

4. inn
    inn says:

I knnow this if off topic butt I’m looking intto starting myy
    owwn blog and wass wondereing what alll is required to get setup?
    I’m assuming havig a blog like yokurs woulkd coost a prettgy penny?
    I’m nott very internmet svvy so I’m nott 100% certain. Any tiips oor addvice wold bee greaty
    appreciated. Many thanks

5. xql
    xql says:

Heey there! I cluld have sworn I’ve been tto ths site befote buut aftdr readinhg through somee
    of tthe post I realized it’s nnew to me. Anyways, I’m definiely delighred
    I found iit and I’ll be bookmarking annd chefking
    back frequently!

6. chd
    chd says:

Hi! This is mmy first ckmment herfe soo I just wantsd tto givve a
    qhick sshout out aand tell yoou I eally enjoy reading through
    yohr posts. Caan you suhgest anny other blogs/websites/forums that ggo over thee same topics?
    Thanls a ton!

7. rfs
    rfs says:

Hurrah! At lasdt I got a weblpg from wwhere I bbe able too inn fact obtaiun useful information regarding mmy
    sttudy annd knowledge.

8. lzu
    lzu says:

Aftrr I initially left a comment I serm tto havce clicked thee -Notify me whe nnew cojments are added- checkboxx aand froom noww
    on very time a cojment iss added I get 4 emaios with the exact same comment.
    Thre has too be a means yoou caan rsmove me from that
    service? Thanks a lot!

9. rxq
    rxq says:

I’m truly enjoying tthe design aand layout off your website.
    It’s a very easzy on the eys which makes it mucfh morre pleasant ffor me to comne
    her annd visit mkre often. Diid yoou hhire outt a desgner
    tto crreate your theme? Outstandinng work!

10. cam
    cam says:

I am reallly loving the theme/design oof your site. Do yoou ever run inbto any wweb
    browser copatibility problems? A handfu of mmy blogg readers hae complazined about mmy
    site noot working correctly in Explorer but looks great iin Opera.
    Do yoou havfe any advice to help fix thjs problem?

11. ipx
    ipx says:

I havbe read so maany posts on tthe topic of tthe blogger lovefs except thjis post iis really a fastidious post,
    keep it up.

12. yvk
    yvk says:

Thajks , I have just ben ssearching for information approcimately this subject foor a lonbg ttime annd yours is thhe greatest I ave discolvered soo far.
    However, what concerning tthe bottom line? Aree you cdrtain conjcerning the source?

13. tga
    tga says:

If yyou desire tto obtain a ood deal from tis piece of writing
    thnen you hsve to apply suc stratsgies to your won webpage.

14. ghp
    ghp says:

Hi, i feel thhat i saw yoou visited my webszite soo i cae too returen tthe desire?.I’m attempting to fimd things to improve mmy website!I guess iits adsquate to makee usee oof soime
    oof your ideas!!

15. klq
    klq says:

Wonderful beat ! I would like too apprentice whgile you amend
    your site, how cann i subscrive ffor a bllog site? Thhe acount helped me a acceptaable deal.
    I had bbeen tin bit acquaintd of thi your broadcast offered
    brighht cleaar idea

16. Elvin
    Elvin says:

Goodd day! Do you uuse Twitter? I’d like tto follow yyou if that would
    bbe okay. I’m aabsolutely enjoying yopur log and look
    forwazrd too neww updates.

17. jtj
    jtj says:

Cann I simpply say what a reoief tto discover someoine thast truly knows what they’re
    discusssing online. Yoou deinitely knoow howw to bbring a probblem too ligfht aand make it important.
    Morre and more people ought too read this and understand thos side of your story.
    It’s surprisng you aren’t more popular becausxe you certainly have the gift.

18. vnj
    vnj says:

Thanks for sharing yoiur thoughts. I reaply appreciate yiur eefforts andd I amm waiting foor ykur further write upps thak
    you once again.

19. wlp
    wlp says:

Waay cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreckate yoou wtiting this article plus the rerst of tthe websitye iss reqlly good.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Your email address will not be published.